Hi,

Since some time ago I wanted to look at how difficult is to get non python
software installed inside an anaconda environment and this looked like a
good excuse to test it so I did a quick test to get Easybuil+Lmod inside
conda. In case anyone want to test it, you can try this:

$> wget -O /tmp/Miniconda2-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh
https://repo.continuum.io/miniconda/Miniconda2-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh
$> bash /tmp/Miniconda2-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh -b -f
$> export PATH=~/miniconda2/bin:$PATH
$> conda install -c pescobar lmod=6.5.12
$> pip install easybuild
$> source ~/miniconda2/lmod/lmod/init/bash
$> eb --modules-tool=Lmod foss-2016a.eb -r --dry-run

Following these steps I could get EasyBuild+Lmod running in a vanilla
centos7 installation quite easily. I think it should also work in any other
linux distribution, no matter which are the installed packages from the OS
repos.

Personally I like this concept of running easybuild in a self-contained
environment with fixed python version and python libraries and even extra
non-python dependencies. IMHO, this would simplify the development and
testing of easybuild and would make easier to plan the migration to
python3. Also developers wouldn't need to worry if the user are going to
deploy easybuild in centos6 (python2.6),  centos7 (python2.7) or any other
distro because easybuild would provide its own well tested python version +
dependencies.  Still this allows anyone to use a different approach if they
prefer like using system's python or a centrally installed Lmod or
environment modules (e.g. for a production deployment I would still use an
independent Lmod installation). In any case, as I said, this is just an
idea/suggestion so the main developers evaluate it. How easybuild is
distributed now works fine for me and I also have the choice to use conda
or not.

regards,
Pablo.

--