The logic of domination gender-based...?

I think gender and human-nature relations are very intricately 
connected.  If I had answered immediately to your question, I would have 
said the first relation of domination was a human-nature one, in which 
gender came to be implicated.  For instance, it is only after defining 
women's *social* and culturally based roles *into* nature(child birth, 
child care, nurturing, cooking, cleaning, what have you...) and as 
biologically based instincts, have we in modern times been able to 
exploit the valuable labor for social purposes.  "Exploiting" whether 
against nature or women ultimately involves violence and coercion.  

 I know I have not completely answered your question.  I am unable, since 
I came into this group more as a feminist interested in environmental 
connections rather than as an "ecofeminist."

On Tue, 14 Feb 1995, Mark Peterson wrote:

> Hi --
> 
> I've been lurking quietly for a while now and have been pondering a
> question.  I hope the list members can help.
> 
> Does ecofeminism provide a more adequate prespective from which to
> judge environmental issues than do, say, social ecology or deep
> ecology?  Or more specifically, is the logic of domination always
> gender based, and if it isn't, doesn't that recommend social ecology
> as a more thorough-going methodology?
> 
> 
> ---
> mce peterson
> university of wisconsin centers
> 
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue Feb 14 16:26:52 MST 1995
 id <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Wed, 15 Feb 1995 12:29:01 +1300
 ; 15 Feb 95 12:27:33 +1300
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 12:27:05 +1300
From: "STEFANIE S. RIXECKER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ecofeminism and Multiple Perspectives
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Organization: Lincoln University

Hello Mark and all ECOFEM-ers!

Mark's question:

>>"Does ecofeminism provide a more adequate prespective from which to
judge environmental issues than do, say, social ecology or deep
ecology?  Or more specifically, is the logic of domination always
gender based, and if it isn't, doesn't that recommend social ecology
as a more thorough-going methodology?"<<

is a good one.  It raises LOTS of issues and potential discussion 
areas which we have yet to investigate.  I'd like to add my own 
response to those already voiced as well as a few references which 
might be of use.  Thanks for the question Mark!

There's definitely a running dialogue about the different 
perspectives on ecofeminism and its social location in theory and 
practice.  Some good and informative summaries are available:

Carolyn Merchant's contribution (I've forgotten the title) in :
Diamond, Irene and Gloria F. Orenstein.  1990.  __Reweaving the 
World: The Emergence of Ecofeminism__.  San Francisco: Sierra Club 
Books.

Birkeland, Janis.  1993.  "Ecofeminism: Linking Theory and Practice"  
In, Gaard, Greta, ed., __Ecofeminism: Women, Animals and Nature__.  
Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.

Hallen, Patsy.  1992.  "Some Ecofeminist Dimensions of Ecopolitics."  
In Hay, Peter and Robyn Eckersley, eds., __Ecopolitical Theory: 
Essays from Australia__.  Hobart, Tasmania: University of Tasmania.  

And, for a discussion supporting social ecology and the =potential= 
intersection of "ecofeminism", see:
Biehl, Janet.  1991.  __Rethinking Ecofeminist Politics__.  Boston: 
South End Press.

With regard to an "answer" to whether or not "the logic of 
domination is always gender based", a few caveats need to be 
addressed.  For one, single, direct causal relationships regarding 
"logic of domination" are not possible.  The complex web of power -- 
whether power to or power over -- is more than a "simple" gender 
based formula.  

Indeed, (power) relationships are tied up with the complexities of 
institutions; social attitudes (towards a number of aspects, e.g., 
sex, race, class, sexual orientation, etc); dominant worldviews 
regarding the place and structure of knowledge, science, technology, 
and economics; colonialism and imperialism; and geographic location 
(context).  These are only SOME of the threads in the power nexus.  I 
hope ECOFEM can discuss any or all of these.

My second "caveat" will be kept short as this message is beyond its 
acceptable length.  Namely, is the term "logic of domination" an 
appropriate way to view the treatment of women across (or within) 
societies?  For some it may be a matter of semantics, but another 
thread in the "power nexus" is language...so, I ask: how "logical" is 
domination of women (or anyone)?  AND...can there be a single 
methodology appropriate for ALL cultures, considering this complex 
web of inter-relationships?  

The range of ecofemininst literature and activism intersects and 
often addresses such questions.  One of the reasons this list's 
formal name is "Studies in Women and Environment" is to give credence 
to the MULTIPLE perspectives of women's role in and with the 
environment.  I believe multiple views are not only good, but 
ultimately the "best" we can expect from the diverse experiences 
within and across cultures.  The challenge is how to cope with 
planetary problems from locally appropriate perspectives and 
practices.

Further discussion is welcome!!

                                    Stefanie Rixecker
                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]         
                                    Centre for Resource Management
                                    Lincoln University     
                 













--Boundary (ID C0t9xKi3V7LxxMw1arbv8w)--

Reply via email to