Val and Wil,

Lets be open minded, I think Paul may have a point here;  I myself
spent 7 years in graduate school studying effects of acid rain on
forest and tundra nutrient cycles receiving $11K - $18K annually of
NSF funded taxpayer dollars.  As a Post-Doc the windfall was more
than doubled and that doesn't include the transportation to and from
Antarctica not to mention the weekly phone calls to my wife for 6
months.  So all told I have gleaned nearly $300,000 over 12 years to
study global change, and only had to pay for cross country relocation
3 times!.  The money devoted to the topic has grown so large that
literally hundreds of newly minted PhDs compete vigorously for the
dozens of faculty positions through which future funding will be
provided.  In fact I have grown so affluent from scientific funding
that I am able to "retire" early and pursue a career as an adjunct
professor at a local community college.

Why do you think the 3000 plus IPCC scientists devoted their free
time over the last 28 years?  Obviously, so they could divide up the
millions in Noble Prize money.  I pity those poor dozen skeptics who
now have only Western Fuels and King Coal to look to for research funds.

David Bryant