Jacqueline,

Those climate scientists are probably not driving new sports cars, since =
Paul Cherubini has repeatedly explained to this list in the past that =
ecologists (if not climate scientists)--generally described by him as =
"affluent"--generally live in over-sized houses and drive gas-guzzling =
SUV's. I'm sure there are some ecologists who do. Based on that, I =
highly respect everything Paul says. I won't even touch on the DDT =
topic.

Respectfully where respect is due,

Dave Whitacre, apparently one of the few ecologists sans SUV and with a =
modestly-sized house

 competing for many hundreds of millions of dollars worth of newly
> available climate change grant money.  And that's my point - that
> climate change has been a recent a financial windfall for
> the catastrophic man-made global warming camp of scientists.

This hardly constitutes an economic "windfall." These researchers, who =
are engaging in peer-reviewed science, are hardly driving new sports =
cars because a couple of institutions have donated money for climate =
research. The NSF funding rate for many grants has decreased in recent =
years, due to budget cuts by our current administration. Presumably, if =
a research project doesn't get funded (and many don't), then the PI =
picks a different project.  Given that it takes a good ten years of =
education before someone's ready to do independent research, I hardly =
think today's climate scientists were in the wings a decade or more ago =
plotting for ways to bring climate change to the forefront so they'd =
have job security. The in funding was brought about by the science, not =
the other way around.=20

> By contrast, there are only a relatively small numbers of scientists =
who
> make their living (via corporate-fronted foundations) promoting the
> idea that the causes of global warming are not mostly man made
> or that nothing can be done that will effectively delay warming
> by more than a few years.

I thought that the purpose of applying for federal research dollars was =
not to use the funds to "promote" a particular agenda, but to test an =
hypothesis?=20

Respectfully,

Jacquelyn Gill