Jeez, I shouldn't hit the send message while I'm dozing off.  I kept trying
to rewrite the last sentence despite intermittent bursts of unconsciousness.
The next-to-last paragraph should have read:

You seem to be saying that people are eager to give scientists money all the
while knowing that we saboteurs will find ways to add discomfort to their
lives.  In my experience, people have never been all that willing to embrace
prophets spreading the gospel of trial and tribulation.  Given that the
solutions to many of the environmental problems we face will require some
(significant) sacrifice by society, an analysis of historical data suggest
that it is not the best business model to depending on public support for
further statements of gloom and doom.

Later,

Dave

 David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
 7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
 Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
 4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan