I couldn't help but add a little fuel to this fire....I completely agree with
Dave's assertion that many of the negative, arrogant and rude comments
regarding the merits of an Ed.D. are based more on ignorance and a superiority
complex than on any real knowledge of the degree itself.  I actually have
experience with the Ed.D., as a former boss of mine was in the midst of
completing an Ed.D. while I was working for him.  I can tell you that his
degree requirements were no "softer" than those of many of the Ph.D. programs
in ecology, whether that be focused on modelling, genetics, field-based ecology
or human dimensions.

I just asked a colleague in my lab if she had any experience with the Ed.D.
degree program; right away, she recounted a family friend who had his
Ed.D.--and was a regional extension director for the state of North Carolina,
working as faculty from North Carolina State University.  I don't see why the
different concentration of the Ed.D.--(scientific) education and outreach,
which we would presumably all agree are huge necessities in our field--somehow
makes it less worthy than the Ph.D.'s focus.  The insistence that only a
privileged few are bright enough and tenacious enough to achieve a Ph.D., while
ANYBODY could earn a Ed.D. is ridiculous; the differences in degree
concentrations does not mean different levels of rigor.

We all have different professional goals, and these goals require different
pathways to get there.  When so much of the discussion on this listserve
surrounds the issue of "how do we get people with different backgrounds to work
together to achieve a common goal?", I think it would do a lot of folks some
good to check their egos at the door, and recognize that we'll never
effectively work together if there is always an air of intellectual or
professional superiority maintained by some.  It's no wonder agency folks,
consultants and the like can't stand academics; we bring it on ourselves.
Remember, everyone who is at the table is there for a reason--because they ALL
belong there.  If some of you would stop preening your feathers, you might
listen to one of your "lesser" colleagues and actually learn something.

Lauren