malcolm McCallum wrote:
> Most figures from textbooks are now open use at the textbook companies push.
> they were spending a lot getting and keeping records of permissions
> and gave up some years ago.
> Anything that is posted on the internet without
>
> Copyright (c) YEAR. NAME OF COPYRIGHT HOLDER.
>
> is technically open for use by anyone.  I got this directly from the
> copyright office a few years back.

Your information is outdated.

According to U.S. copyright law, no copyright notice is required. Anything, once it is put into "tangible" form -- that is printed, uploaded to a Web site, recorded, etc. -- is inherently copyrighted.

Here are the relevant passages from the Copyright FAQ (http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/)

When is my work protected?

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

What is a copyright notice? How do I put a copyright notice on my work?

A copyright notice is an identifier placed on copies of the work to inform the world of copyright ownership that generally consists of the symbol or word “copyright (or copr.),” the name of the copyright owner, and the year of first publication, e.g., ©2008 John Doe. While use of a copyright notice was once required as a condition of copyright protection, it is now optional. Use of the notice is the responsibility of the copyright owner and does not require advance permission from, or registration with, the Copyright Office. See Circular 3, Copyright Notice, for requirements for works published before March 1, 1989, and for more information on the form and position of the copyright notice.

Dave

 David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
 7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
 Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: d...@fuzzo.com
 USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
 4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan