Hello Folks,

The discussion that followed my question about using a photograph in a
presentation motivates more questions.

1.  Is it legal to surf the WWW during the teaching of a class or the
presentation of a paper?  Can I legally direct the attention of my audience to
the work of another, via a web site authorized by the holder of the copyright?

2.  My web browser creates temporary Internet files each time I visit a web
site.  As this is copying copyrighted material, is it legal to surf the WWW at
all?

3.  Suppose I see an image that I would like to use in a presentation, and ask
the person who operates the web site for permission to use the image.  What is
my liability if that person had copied the image without permission?  Would
that be comparable to the receiving of stolen property (a crime even without
knowledge that the property was stolen)?

Thanks.

Take care, Tom