borretts wrote:
Colleagues,

Biology/ecology could adopt a model like the physicists and develop an electronic preprint archive like arXiv (http://arxiv.org/). This provides a way to share research results and ideas -- even those that have been peer reviewed -- in a moderated fashion without violating copyrights (as far as I know). For those of us working in quantitative biology/ecology there is already a "quantitative biology" subsection available.

as I pointed out earlier, there is Nature Precedings (http://precedings.nature.com/) which fulfils this function. The FAQ discusses copyright (http://precedings.nature.com/site/help#copyright). I don't know how journals will view manuscripts being placed there: I guess I should ask.

We just need to start using it, folks!

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)

Telephone: +358-9-191 51479
Mobile: +358 50 599 0540
Fax:  +358-9-191 51400
WWW:  http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/