Martin,

This all sounds good in the abstract, but it's beyond me how we could do
better than peer-review to establish which science is done well and which is
not.  No matter how reliable a system is, it's always easy to say "we should
do better than this."  But what would you propose to improve on our current
systme of vetting scientific research?

You don't have to get very far from your own field to run into research you
aren't equipped to validate.  Most pollination biologists probably aren't
prepared to properly assess the quality of research on insect cognition, for
example, so they have to rely on other scientists to evaluate the research
for them.  To what better authority could they possibly appeal?

I would certainly not want people who don't "have faith" in the scientific
method deciding which papers can and cannot be published.

Jim Crants

--
James Crants, PhD
Scientist, University of Minnesota