Several subscribers have disagreed with my statement about passive/active voice, and I stand corrected. Perhaps the case was best stated by someone who wrote me off-list to say "I have noticed a change in the last 4 years...I was instructed by many to use the passive voice and to shy away from the active voice which very often required the use of first person pronouns. But in the last year, a growing trend has led away from the use of passives. Just today, when haphazardly choosing 3 abstracts from the most recent issue of Science, I found all to be written in the active voice and found the first person 'we' in two of them...I think 'modern scientific writing' may indeed be evolving again."

I am pleased to be shown wrong and commend the scientific community for this stylistic improvement.

Bill Silvert