Bill, thank you. Not to hammer a dead horse, but I wrote my dissertation in the seventies. I was encouraged to use active voice and first person. The most recent edition of the CBE Style Manual that I actually own is the third edition (copyright 1972), though I have generally had access to more recent (and massive) versions over the years since.

From my third edition (page 5): "Write in the active voice unless you have a good reason for writing in the passive. The active is the natural voice, the one in which people commonly speak and write, and it is less likely than the passive to lead to ambiguity."

There follows a series of explanations and examples detailing why first person is generally preferable to other persons, especially in describing methods where it provides clear explanation of who did what, rather than the ambiguity of the third person passive, where one might wonder who at all did the experiments described.

Thanks, David