They aren't opposed to using the passive voice. They are opposed to using it when it is not the best choice. Why would "I" startle the reader, when it communicates the intended information better than an ambiguous anonymity would?

On the same page where the CBE writers advise using first person active where appropriate, they also state:

"Although frequently misused and abused, the passive voice has justifiable functions in technical writing." They then present several appropriate examples. Further along, they write: "The passive voice may sometimes help you avoid an unnecessary and perhaps awkward change of subject." They follow this again with appropriate examples.

I think the authors of the manual were opposed to ambiguity and lack of clarity, and were in favor of crisp, clear, easily understood writing. I think that is the reason that the manual has become the style guide of choice for much of scientific writing, and is no longer restricted to biology.

David McNeely