Date:    Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:47:35 -0500
From:    Lee Davis <m.lee.da...@gmail.com>
Subject: academia vs consultancies vs govt

I think a major point that isn't being addressed here is that many
professors who have focused solely on research and may have had little
contact with regulation, on the ground conservation and management
agencies/organizations often fail to understand the importance of training
in NEPA, conservation easements, environmental economics, etc. as an
important and needed addition to training in research methods.

We need to be training folks who can bridge the gap between science and
policy. This seems to make a great deal of since to me, especially at the
M.S. level, and yet in my personal experience many people focused solely on
research in academia don't seem to understand that the people they are
training may have these or other goals in mind. I have talked to many
friends and acquaintances recently who came back to school hoping to move
into higher positions within the conservation/regulatory world while
bridging the gap between science, land managers and regulators and feel that
grad school has not adequately addressed these needs.

Lee