As a 48-year old Research Associate, who began a PhD program as a non-married, childless woman, who has since married, given birth to a son, and is now widowed, I am probably in a position to comment on the challenges of balancing life as a professional scientist, colleague, parent, head of household, community member, neighbor, friend, and any number of other roles we as fellow human beings play throughout our lives. However, I think it may be more useful to pose a question to the scientific community at large://

/How well do you think we are doing in the academy, as individuals and collectively, at producing thoughtful and insightful scientific knowledge that truly serves to "advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare", which--at least for the United States Government--is outlined as a primary mission in its support of the advancement of science through the National Science Foundation? /

It seems to me the old adage "as within, so without" applies here.

Susan Howe
Colorado State University
Research Associate
Civil and Environmental Engineering