I've been thinking of chiming in before and will do so now.
As someone who is now a grandmother, I can say yes - you can do it all,
but not exactly all at the same time. Kids do not stay babies that long.
You can cut back when they are, and when your kids are a bit older, you
can plunge back into field work and career. It's also vital to have a
spouse who does his 50% of the child rearing. I advise anyone wishing a
balanced career and family life to choose your spouse carefully with this
in mind!