To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:01 AM
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Invasion, or progression?

Good morning,

I know that invasive and non-native species have been getting a great deal
of attention lately, and justly. I understand the basic ecological impacts
and concerns invasive species cause, and the disruption of the native
system.  My main question is:

Why are invasive species considered a nuisance, instead of adaptation,
progression, or perhaps ecosystem evolution?

Yes, human beings have been a main cause of the large majority of these
invasions.  But even so, I feel we are part of the natural system.  If an
invasive species exhibits more plasticity or is more competitive and
adaptive than the present species in an ecosystem, does that necessarily
imply catastrophic impacts?  There are multiple arguments against this, I
know, many of them strong and verified.  I am not an advocate of invasive
species dominated ecosystems, but am just curious why this change and shift is considered so extremely detrimental. I feel that stable and progressive
change and adaptation is the basis of a strong ecological system.

I would welcome any thoughts on this, or perhaps to start a discussion.  I
am still an undergrad, so my question may seem farfetched and ridiculous to
some.  Even so, just something to ponder on a lovely Sunday morning.

Have a good day all,

Josh Wilson

-----
No virus found in this message.