Interesting question and  responses.  Humans are part  of nature, and some
of humans’ actions/disturbances make it easier for invasive  species to
flourish.  (Some would  suggest that humans are the worst invasive species on
the planet.)   Some of humans’ actions cause large-scale  changes to “natural”
 systems (sometimes for better, often for worse - but of  course that is
just an anthropocentric view), and then other humans’ actions are  focused on
reversing those changes (making what got worse, better).
It makes me think about the  larger issue of climate change.  Many (myself
included) believe that humans’ accelerated use and burning  of fossil fuels
during the past century has caused the climate changes that are  occurring.
Others believe that  climate change is simply a natural occurrence, and
humans’ actions did little to  cause it and will do little to reverse it.
Still others don’t believe climate change is happening at all.
What’s  happening is happening, whatever one may “believe”.  If enough of
us believe climate change  is happening, is caused by man, and can be slowed
or reversed, then actions will  be taken to do so.  If not, then  whatever
is happening will continue, possibly with catastrophic effects on the
survivability of some, many, or all humans.  The “natural” world will continue
on  regardless, with or without humans.  Species will continue to fill in
niches wherever they are best  adapted.

Steve

In a message dated 4/22/2012 11:17:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,