From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] on behalf of Steve Young [steve.yo...@unl.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 8:22 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Invasion, or progression?

Interesting question, can a native become invasive? I would suggest that in
some instances this is the case. For example, eastern redcedar in the Central
Prairie is native, but has now become invasive in many locations. The main
reason is the lack of fire that used to occur naturally prior to settlement by
Europeans.

For those who want to know more, we will be addressing this topic at the NAIPSC
later in June. I expect the discussion will be quite good. Maybe I'll post a
summary to ECOLOG then.

Steve

Stephen L. Young, PhD
Weed Ecologist