Anthropogenic influence can be the direct agent of "invasiveness" (as in
actively introducing a species into a new area, willingly or not) or the
indirect agent (as in changing the climate and land use patterns so that
conditions change and new environments become available for species). In
addition, as WT pointed out, there are also changes that are not anthropogenic
and that can create conditions for the "invading" organism to thrive.  If
there's one thing we can count on is the fact that, given the right conditions,
species WILL disperse and reproduce.  So, I would argue that where humans are
indirect agents or other events create conditions for "invasives" to thrive, it
may be very hard to control or avoid invasiveness/dispersal, since species are
only doing what they are supposed to do.  Unless we can change the climate back
or turn land uses to previous states, or change those events that led to the
right conditions in a certain system, species will move, and some will cause
damage to the native system and some won't.  Those that cause damage are
invasives, those that don't are just, well, dispersing, even though both are
just doing their thing - and sometimes things just are out of our control (pun
intended).  I mean, is it really possible to stop a species from naturally
dispersing?  How about 100 species?  For how long and at what cost?

Astrid Caldas, Ph.D.

Climate Change and Wildlife Science Fellow

 Defenders of Wildlife
 1130 17th Street N.W. Washington D.C. 20036-4604
 Tel: 202-772-0229     |    Fax: 202-682-1331
 acal...@defenders.org  |  www.defenders.org
 http://experts.defendersblog.org/author/acaldas