To contribute to the conversation of the difficulty of obtaining
non-academic employment, I offer an abridged version of my personal
experience.

I have over 11 years experience as a field biologist, mainly working as a
seasonal tech doing field work for universities, graduate students and
government agencies. I went to grad school for a master's degree because I
was tired of just being the grunt labor and wanted to be involved in the
rest of the process. Since getting my master's in Aug 2010, I have gone
back to seasonal work for 2 field seasons, been a project hire biologist
for a consulting company for 1.5 years, and been largely unemployed for the
remaining 1.5 years. I am currently on the payroll as an on-call biologist
at 6, yes 6, different consulting companies and 1 national park. I have
applied to upwards of 100 positions throughout the west with government
agencies, non-profits and consulting companies.

In my experience, with the plethora of biologists to chose from,
environmental consulting companies are hiring less permanent, full-time
biologists for their staff and instead stocking up on on-call biologists
since they don't have to provide benefits to them and those positions will
always be billable to a client (no overhead costs). When there is a dearth
of jobs in one arena, this transfers over to other employers in the same
field.

--
Karen Weber
843-991-5768

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have
imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau