The existence of many good and rewarding jobs outside academia - in
federal agencies (EPA, NOAA, FWS, USGS, FDA etc.) as well as in state
agencies, the private sector (e.g. consulting firms) and non-profits
(environmental groups) or for those who love teaching, teaching in K-12
seems to be ignored in this discussion.