As a newly graduating PhD with a K12 teaching credential, I can attest
that there are not many jobs for new PhDs outside of academia. I am
looking in all sectors except consulting, but I'm not qualified as a
consultant. My only interview so far has been with a non-profit, where
I was one of hundreds of applicants. The few ecology-related government
jobs that came up this year (for PhDs) also had hundreds of applicants.
I've maintained my teaching credential in case I need to return to
teaching high school, but most school districts within the state have
been under a hiring freeze or are laying off staff, even in science and
math.

With most of these jobs, one must pick between "good" or "rewarding".
Starting salaries for K12 teachers is about $35k-$45k in California and
it is an incredibly difficult job. I truly love my PhD work and I would
like to continue doing research. It's challenging and rewarding, and I
believe it has real benefit to society. However the bleak prospects in
this field have been discouraging to say the least.

Thank you to those who are participating in this discussion. I would
love to see this discussion posted more publicly, perhaps a blog with
open commenting, because our colleagues in other fields are all
struggling with these same issues. The broader academic community might
benefit by sharing our thoughts and ideas on this problem.

-Anne