It needs to be pointed out that PHD and MS advisors in general are not
culprits.  Most of them I have known are interested in helping students
realize a future as a professor, researcher, or whatever direction it is
that a student is pursuing.  The concerns many are voicing here are
representative of a larger problem that transcends even the subject matter
and job setting.  The employment situation for most disciplines, from car
mechanic to physicist is largely in the tank.  Further, outside of a short
period surrounding the turn of the century when the Y2K bug sucked tons of
folks off the job market and fueled the economy, it has stunk it up for a
long tiem.  Essentially, I argue that the job market has been fairly flat
in America since the Vietnam War.  The small punctuations of prosperity
were largely coincidence in connection with odd occurrences like Y2K and
largely, nothing has been done in the US to help with this problem.
 Sometimes, we as academics forget that its not just us trying to find
jobs.  Its every sector, except for politicians.  I'ld say, politics is the
place to be for job security.  You are guaranteed 2 years as a rep, 4 yrs
as a president, 6 yrs as a senator so long as you don't do something
demanding impeachment, and even then you might not be removed.  Something
to think about.

Malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Department of Environmental Studies

Managing Editor,
Herpetological Conservation and Biology

 "Nothing is more priceless and worthy of preservation than the rich array
of animal life with which our country has been blessed. It is a
many-faceted treasure, of value to scholars, scientists, and nature lovers
alike, and it forms a vital part of the heritage we all share as
Americans."
-President Richard Nixon upon signing the Endangered Species Act of 1973
into law.

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" - Allan
Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

The Seven Blunders of the World (Mohandas Gandhi)
Wealth w/o work
Pleasure w/o conscience
Knowledge w/o character
Commerce w/o morality
Science w/o humanity
Worship w/o sacrifice
Politics w/o principle

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not