Hi All,

I have enjoyed reading the various perspectives and think the overall
discussion is beneficial.

I am a recent PhD graduate and had the opportunity to participate in an NSF
Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) focused on
building more interdisciplinary scientist, specifically across the fields of
math, statistics, geology, and ecology. Part of the curriculum required all
students to take coursework outside their respective disciplines. As an
ecologist, I needed to take graduate-level courses in statistics, geology, and
mathematics. While my former degrees (BS and MS) had provided sufficient
prerequisites in statistics and geology, I needed to take Calculus II, Linear
Algebra, and Differential Equations just to qualify for the graduate course in
Mathematical Modeling. Calculus II is likely not "fun" for most students
majoring in biology/ecology, but, it is substantially more difficult when it
has been over 5 years since you've taken Calculus I.

I will never integrate functions by-hand as a regular part of my job. However,
understanding fundamental math concepts, like function convergence/divergence
and the Taylor Series, seems important for any ecologist working with
mathematical models. In answer to the original question of "...whether we
should restructure the mathematics and statistics requirements for our
biology/ecology majors?" I would say, "Yes!"

If you want broadly trained ecologists/biologists with the greatest opportunity
for success in diverse career paths, make core Mathematics and Statistics
courses part of the undergraduate curriculum. It is much easier to take these
courses as an undergrad than trying to fill in gaps as a graduate student that
is also juggling research responsibilities.

Hope this helps!

Chanda