On 01/07/19 14:41, Gao, Liming wrote:
> Ray:
>  I think this proposal is good to recommend Python3 as the default
> interpreter. I summary the updated proposal.
>
> 1. PYTHON3_ENABLE env is not set. edksetup.bat/edksetup.sh will find higher
> version python installed in OS. If Python3 is found, Python3 will be used.
> Then, if python2 is found, and python2 is used. If not found, report error
> and stop build. This will change the default python interpreter from Python2
> to Python3 when they both are installed.
> 2. PYTHON3_EANBLE env is set to TRUE. edksetup.bat/edksetup.sh will find
> Python3. If Python3 is found, Python3 will be used. If not found, report
> error and stop build.
> 3. PYTHON3_ENABLE env is set to not TRUE. edksetup.bat/edksetup.sh will find
> Python2. If Python2 is found, Python2 will be used. If not found, report
> error and stop build.
> Once Python is found, edksetup.bat/edksetup.sh and build tool will both print
> message to let user aware which version python tool is used in this build.

If we're going for this level of flexibility, I'd like to suggest /
request another improvement. Some Linux distros intend to accommodate
multiple Python3 versions at the same time (this is not a typo; I don't
mean Python2+Python3, but multiple Python3 versions). So basically I'd
suggest that we offer a method for specifying a python version
(2/3/auto-detect), plus, in case a specific major version is specified,
that we allow the user to specify the precise interpreter pathname too.