Rich Ulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 26 May 2001 03:50:32 GMT, Elliot Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> I don't see how RTM can explain the average change in a prepost design

>  - explanation:  whole experiment is conducted on patients
> who are at their *worst*  because the flare-up is what sent
> them to a doctor.  Sorry; I might have been more complete
> there.  All the pre-post studies in psychiatric intervention
> (where I work) have this as something to watch for.

That's why you see so many multiple sclerosis patients in the testimonials
of quacks; MS is very much an exacerbation/remission disease, and it's
very easy for the patient to attribute a remission to an ineffective
"treatment" taken during an exacerbation.  You never see testimonials
saying that a "treatment" taken during a remission lowered the frequency
of exacerbations.