Jon,

I do not believe your condition has anything to do with digital modes,
but rather sounds like you have a power control problem - it should not
heat up that it is too hot to touch, and not as fast as you indicate.
I assume a K2/100.  If so, please use an external wattmeter to determine
just how much power it is really producing.  Also, see if the power
control properly controls the power?  I am suspecting that you have some
problem with the KPA100 wattmeter (like damaged diodes from a lightning
surge) and it is developing full uncontrolled power output, which for
some KPA100s can be as high as 180 watts.

73,
Don W3FPR