Jon,

Your quick tests are sufficient to negate my initial suspicion.

I would say your next step is to re-do the KPA100 bias adjustment.  If
you have the bias set too high, the PA transistors will heat more than
normal.

Meter the current into the KPA100 - put the K2 into CW test (hold the
VOX button) and make sure the "C" indicator in the display is blinking -
connect a dummy load to the KPA100 'just in case'.  Set power to greater
than 11 watts.  The current draw will be in the vicinity of 500 ma.
Whatever your external ammeter says, add 400 ma to that - this is your
target value.
The hold TUNE, and look at the ammeter -  If it is a digital meter, wait
until the 2nd reading (blink) because the first value shown may be too
low due to the relative timing of the meter vs the time you pushed the
TUNE button.
The current will go up the longer you remain in TUNE, so obtain the
reading and exit tune - adjust the KPA100 bias up or down a bit and try
again.  Once you have hit your target value, you are done - be sure to
remove the ammeter from the power line.

While you have the shield off the KPA100, you may want to check the
balance on the wattmeter (C1 adjustment) and the power calibration with
reference to a wattmeter that you are willing to trust.

You should be ale to operate the KPA100 at 35 watts continuously without
it getting too hot to touch - yes it will get quite warm, but not too
hot to touch unless you have more sensitive fingers than average.  RTTY
can be considered continuous, PSK31 should be OK up to 50 watts since
the PSK idle has a shorter duty cycle.

If the bias and wattmeter are correct, and you still feel it is getting
warmer than you would like, you might want to try a supplemental fan -
find one from a defunct computer, and run it with a resistor in series
to slow it down so the noise does not irritate.  It can be placed on top
of the heat sink, moving air away and will be quite effective.  See Tom
Hammond's website www.n0ss.net for his implementation.

73,
Don W3FPR