> I think the same is true for the use of Q-signals on phone.
> Instead of saying, "There's a lot of QRN today," I think it
> makes more sense to simply say, "The band is noisy today"?
> It's simpler to say, and the receiving operator is less
> likely to hear "QRM" instead of "QRN." In the end, your
> message is much more readable.

Hence the use of "QR Mary" and "QR Nancy" on phone.

Use of Q-signals on phone may have the same effect it does on CW -- when
copy is difficult it can help to know what's coming. As soon as you hear "Q"
on CW or phone you have an idea what may come next and your brain is
prepared to copy it through whatever other noise and distractions may be
present.

I don't care one way or another. I'm installing the SSB option in my K2
because the next person to own the radio might like to use phone. He'll most
likely be the first to plug a mic into it. :-)

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966
K2 #4941