Dan, I spent 30 years in publishing as a writer, editor and vice president
(google "Eric Jorgensen" for a few books). Jargon is an important part of
communication in the publishing industry. No doubt you have run into sigs,
folios, lead (the metal, as in spacing) and more colorful terms in your
writing career. Everyone "in the know" in publishing knows what "12 points
of lead" means. Why don't they say "0.167 inches of spacing between lines"?
Because it is meaningless to a group that knows the jargon. It is not
well-defined, but in the context of the group it carries full meaning. QRM,
QRN, Hi, How copy?, all carry full meaning in the context of ham radio QSOs
(See? There's another that instantly conveyed to you and any other ham what
I meant).

Furthermore, if someone doesn't want to use the jargon and slang, concrete
ways of participating in and embracing the ham radio culture, then why would
we want them in the group at all!? If hearing it alienates them and turns
them away, so be it. A strong sense of community and culture is what has
differentiated hams as a group for a very long time. Otherwise we are just a
bunch of electronic hobbyists. We don't WANT everyone to be a ham.

The recent interview with Wayne Burdick in a Northern California (Santa
Cruz, I think), newspaper was linked on the reflector a few weeks ago. The
writer of this excellent article referred to hams being "close-knit and
enthusiastic" as a group. Our culture and community binds us. Jargon is an
integral part of this process.

Eric
KE6US