On 7/19/2011 6:27 AM, Jim Wiley wrote:

> I would like to get the opinion of Elecraft list members, particularly
> builders of kit versions of the K1, K2, and K3, concerning magnifier
> lamps.  These are commonly known as "Luxo lamps", although that is only
> the best known brand.  In other words, what are you using, how does it
> work for you, and what don't you like, if anything,

  I have only peripheral eyesight in one eye, so it's monocular
  eyesight for close-up work - a soldering iron in my hands is a
  deadly weapon. I use a magnifier for reading or examining
  things where monocular eyesight is acceptable.

  I'm using a LEDGE (brand) swing-arm magnifier that I coaxed from
  my artist wife. Description below.

> Best magnification factor.   The most common are 1.75X (3
> diopter) and 2.25X (5 diopter).

  Not sure.

> Size and shape of magnifying lens:

  4" round (spherical ?)

> Focal range:  how far from work is optimum, and what are close
> and far limits

  I usually adjust the lens from the work and my eye from the
  lens for a clear image so I can't quantify that.  Sometimes I
  have to use my reading glasses in addition to the magnifier.

> Eyestrain:  distortion, clarity of lens,  adequacy of illumination

  No problem.  My eyestrain comes from excessive reading rather than
  from the mechanics of the magnification.

> Illumination:   LED vs. CFL - how long to reach max output

  Screw-base small daylight color-corrected CFL.  Very bright.
  Instant on.

> Positioning:  Best arm length,  does the unit "stay where it's put?"

  Most of the time.  Had to take a pair of pliers to the
  thumbscrews to make the joints tighter

> Mounting:  Clamp mount,  robustness of mount.  Can the unit be removed
> from the base / desk clamp, etc.

  Clamped onto rear of desktop.  Can't remove the unit without
  taking the mount off.

> Ease of working under the lamp/ magnifier:   Does the unit get in
> the way of soldering, etc.

  See above !

> Problems observed:  What could be done better

  Suits my needs.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402