I've heard similar things about APC UPS's.  However I now have 5 of them
sprinkled throughout the house and the modern versions (c last 3 yrs) are
clean.  I also have a cyberpower UPS that claims sine wave output that is
clean.  I needed the latter for one computer that would not accept the
pseudo sine wave output of the APCs.  All clean whether on commercial power
or supplying power.  YMMV of course.

But if all he wishes to do is not yank the power out from under the K3 so it
can be shut down cleanly, I agree with K2AV.  Plug it into your computer's
UPS as stated.  That's exactly what I do with mine.  And my UPS is hefty
enough to run the K3 barefoot for 10-15 minutes. Most power outages are far
shorter than that here in rural upstate NY.

73/Gary W2CS