Tom and all,

You are ignoring one important word - "Nominal"
A nominal 1/8 inch is equal to a nominal 3.5mm.
As far as I know, they are both the same size.
But as Jim Brown points out, there are good and bad connectors.  Buy the
good ones and stop suffering -- yes, that may mean that you have to
build your own cables if you want good performance.

73,
Don W3FPR