The only difference is in the diameter of the plug shaft, but the shape of
the tip contact may have an influence as well.

It looks like the industry tried to make a compromise plug to fit both 1/8"
and 3.5mm jacks. After all, they are only about 0.01" different. However,
that assumes that the contact springs in the 3/5 mm jacks have enough travel
to reliably contact the slightly smaller 1/8" plugs. That appears to not
always be the case. Of course, it has to do with the actual design of the
leading end contact that is tapered for smooth insertion. Differences in
that shape might be the cause for many intermittent fits.

Too many variables, Hi!

As I reported earlier, I have found the RS plugs marked 1/8" / 3.5 mm are
actually closer to 3.5 mm and work FB. I bought a bunch a few years ago.
Maybe the next time they will have switched vendors and they won't work. Who
knows?

As Jim, K9YC, reported, you can go to the major brands on line. He reports
absolutely consistent results with them. Sometimes the "higher priced
spread" is worth the money.

73,

Ron AC7AC