Most tuner losses occur in the same way as feed line losses - resistive
losses in the conductors. In a tuner, that is usually in the inductance. The
higher the current, the greater the resistive losses.

That's why high impedance feed lines such as open wire line have typically
much less loss than 50 ohm coaxial line. Higher impedance means higher
voltages and less current for a given power. (Excepting the use of some
"ladder line" that has very small gauge conductors which offset at least
some of its advantage).

Tuners that must feed very low impedance loads often suffer losses in the
inductors due to the high currents required.

Some tuners such as the popular T-network type may have more than one
combination of settings that will provide a match. One setting can produce
much more current and so greater loss than the other. W9CF wrote a Java
simulator that lets you see the predicted losses for various conditions.
Just twirl the knobs and watch the SWR or let it "auto-tune" for a given
load and frequency:

http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/tuner/tuner.html

73, Ron AC7AC