Vic et al,

The currents on a particular wire of a two wire feedline, will always
be the vector sum of differential current and common mode current.
This is not the same thing as forward and reflected, which are both
expressed in the differential current.  The tuner will be able to
control the differential current "leaving" the tuner.  It will NOT be
able to control the common mode current.  The common mode current can
occur because the TERMINATION of the feedline is flawed at the antenna
or a balanced to coax junction. Or common mode current can occur
simply because it is induced by the antenna, because the feedline is a
conductor in the vicinity of the antenna and the relationship of the
physical placements of antenna and feedline favor induction.

The tuner IMHO is least likely to be the major malefactor in a case of
unbalanced currents on a feedline. What occurs out at and toward the
feedpoint has been mildly astounding in cases I have helped solve.  I
have had that problem personally, and had to deal with beating a
common mode issue on a balanced line that was putting 900 volts RF
across a balun blocking path at QRO and destroying the balun in the
process.

The common mode path of a balanced feedline is a big antenna, and THE
ENTIRE LENGTH of the feedline should be modeled as a single conductor
along with the antenna, just to see what is being induced.  This
includes grounding in the shack if your tuner has a grounded center
point which effectively grounds common mode current.  Other tuners
will present anything from a brute force common mode block to a
resistive path to ground.  From the tuner's treatment of incoming
common mode, its direct grounding, or resistive path to ground, or
open circuit to ground, needs to be put in the model.

I had to do all of that to dig my way out of my problem.

Note, you can't buy broadband RF common mode blocks for balanced line
at Radio Shack.  Nor anywhere else, for that matter, that I've been
able to find.

73, Guy.