I just got back from my annual trek to Martha's Vineyard, but operating the K2 was a bit different this year. My home qth situation does not accommodate an ATU very well, so I avoided getting the KAT2. And, of course, once I added the KPA100, that issue seemed to become moot.

However, when I'm at the Vineyard, I put the original lid back on to the K2 and operate qrp. I use my slingshot to throw a 112' wire into a tree (the other end is anchored to the lightning rod on the end of the converted barn) and I pitch a 33' counterpoise out the loft window. I used to tune this with an MFJ 934 tuner with artificial ground. This worked very well on 80-10. But then I began thinking: if I am going to use the original lid only under these kinds of circumstances, maybe it makes sense to add the KAT2. Which is what I did. And, boy, yes!!! I sure don't know why I didn't do it earlier.

Because I built the ATU just shortly before leaving and didn't have much time to test it except to see that it was working, I lugged along the MFJ box, just in case, and the MFJ-259, which is very useful in finding initial settings without using the K2's power. Well, that was a waste of space. I could have left those boxes at home, as well as an assortment of cables and a coax switch. The KAT2 tuned that same antenna set up (I added a second 16' cp) fantastically well on all bands 160-10 (1.1-1 or better). I just wish the bands were in as good shape as the KAT2 behaved.

Although it tuned top band, I wondered just how well I would be able to get out. I tried twice and made good contacts both times, once getting a 599 from K9DX in IL (of course, he was about 30 db over s9, running a kw and an appropriate top-band antenna). Add to that the fact that the settings are remembered, so switching bands merely required pushing the band button, and, wow, who could ask for more. I sure don't know why I didn't do it earlier.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy