-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David A.Belsley
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 5:56 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] KAT2, why did it take me so long?

I just got back from my annual trek to Martha's Vineyard, but operating the
K2 was a bit different this year.  My home qth situation does not
accommodate an ATU very well, so I avoided getting the KAT2.  And, of
course, once I added the KPA100, that issue seemed to become moot.

However, when I'm at the Vineyard, I put the original lid back on to the K2
and operate qrp.  I use my slingshot to throw a 112' wire into a tree (the
other end is anchored to the lightning rod on the end of the converted barn)
and I pitch a 33' counterpoise out the loft window.  I used to tune this
with an MFJ 934 tuner with artificial ground.  This worked very well on
80-10.  But then I began thinking: if I am going to use the original lid
only under these kinds of circumstances, maybe it makes sense to add the
KAT2.  Which is what I did.  And, boy, yes!!!  I sure don't know why I
didn't do it earlier.

Because I built the ATU just shortly before leaving and didn't have much
time to test it except to see that it was working, I lugged along the MFJ
box, just in case, and the MFJ-259, which is very useful in finding initial
settings without using the K2's power.  Well, that was a waste of space.  I
could have left those boxes at home, as well as an assortment of cables and
a coax switch.  The KAT2 tuned that same antenna set up (I added a second
16' cp) fantastically well on all bands 160-10 (1.1-1 or better).  I just
wish the bands were in as good shape as the KAT2 behaved.

Although it tuned top band, I wondered just how well I would be able to get
out.  I tried twice and made good contacts both times, once getting a 599
from K9DX in IL (of course, he was about 30 db over s9, running a kw and an
appropriate top-band antenna).  Add to that the fact that the settings are
remembered, so switching bands merely required pushing the band button, and,
wow, who could ask for more.  I sure don't know why I didn't do it earlier.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy