Don and Diana Cunningham wrote:

Hank,
I fail to see why he would have to worry about the Ameritron amps, since they (Al-1200, AL-1500, AL-80B at least) only have 12 VDC on the relay jack, and require sinking 100ma max. The specs listed for the K2 say 1A and 200V. Am I missing something??
Thanks,
Don, WB5HAK

The K2/100 can handle the voltage/current requirements ..... But he relay in the Ameritron amps is not the fastest relay to pick -- it takes at least 50ms or more. During that time the K2/100 sees a high SWR during this time and shuts down the amp, so you start sending and the amp has no output - and you never know if you aren't watching the meters. K6XX has a "relay accelerator" circuit on his web site that works great in speeding up the relay - my AL-1200 with this circuit built on a terminal strip has not failed since I put it in place. Doesn't happen with other radios and the Ameritron amps .... Just the K2/100's.

73    Hank    K8DD