Gil,

I think you are alluding to troubleshooting and repair to the component
level vs. replacement of a board.
Unfortunately, the days of replacement at the component level are
disappearing fast.  I too look at a circuit board with SMD and my first
reaction is "if I just could figure out which component is failing ...".
Well, that failing component is "the board" rather than a specific
component on the board.

We went through a similar transition when discrete circuits were being
replaced by Integrated circuits.
We are not going to go backwards in the semiconductor arena.  It is fun
to build from discrete components and it is informative to those leaning
about electrical circuits, but from a production standpoint, those days
are past.  There are already many components in the K2 that are not
available in through-hole devices.  Witness the speech compressor on the
KSB2 board, the IF amplifier in the K2, and the Schottky diode used at
D36 on the bottom of the K2 RF board which has been replaced by an SMD
component on a carrier board.

Elecraft has gone great strides in countering the gaps left by
"disappearing devices", but who knows how much longer they can hold on.

The current situation for the KSB2 board is that if the speech amplifier
fails, a new bare board must be ordered and the components from the old
board can be mounted on the new board.  That is OK for those who have a
good desoldering tool, but for those who do not, it usually means
ordering a new KSB2 kit.

There are other K2 parts that are obsolete, but only available from
Elecraft such as the PLL IC. That IC does not fail very often. but if it
fails in your K2, the stock at Elecraft is the only possibility that I
can find to replace it - when that source runs dry, you are out of
luck.  This is not an unusual scenerio, and is one reason manufacturers
will discontinue support for a product.

I must applaud Elecraft because instead of dropping support, the KSB2
was re-designed to use an alternative speech processor,  and a carrier
board was developed for the IF amplifier.  However, there is a practical
limit to what can be done - we may someday reach that decision point,
but so far,  the folks at Elecraft have decided to take the more
difficult route and provide an alternative for that :disappearing
component.  Thank you Wayne and Eric.

73,
Don W3FPR