Chas,

If a single button held in on power up won't cure it, grab a handful.

The CPU should still be attempting to strobe the panel for key presses.

All you want it to do is have the lockup clear up long enough for the cpu to
sense a correctable failure.

If/When you get it unlocked; immediately reload all firmware; or at a
minimum, the firmware that seemed to be affected.

And the word corrupted is probably the most salient term here.

You may have to scare the cpu worse than it already is, before it will allow
a fix.

You may be amazed to find that if you disconnect all devices, cables, etc
and physically move the K3 so you can be sure it is not connected, in any
way, to the real world; the problem may dissipate after a few hours;
provided it is the equivalent of a ground loop.

If not, removing the back-up battery and letting it stand for a half hour
may bear favorable results.

This is a computer.  It fails just like any other computer..

It's stability is largely dependent on the complexity of the firmware's
ability to be able to second guess every way a task can be attempted.

Before you try the radical approach; Elecraft Support should be available
soon, as they sun is coming up on the left coast.

David
KD4NUE