I have had bad experiences buying ham equipment on eBay and like Fred focus on
QTH.com or qrz.com for used equipment. Burned by radiomart 2x, and a bad old
skool Yaesu tube amp. These three experiences has made me move to those
websites that are actually run and managed by ham operators.

I do use ebay and have had excellent experience buying discontinued Geoffrey
Rowley Vans circa 1999/2000 on eBay and a certain pair of Perry Ellis pants
that I like wearing.

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Dec 13, 2012, at 11:48 AM, "Dyarnes" <w7...@cox.net> wrote:

> Fred and All,
>
> I think Fred's comment is a bit excessive.  It's a shame he had a bad
> experience, but the same thing could have happened if he had used almost any
> other "venue" for selling gear, like Eham, or QTH, or whatever.  You can't
> just blame Ebay for your own mistakes.  His comments about being more careful
> about just how you effect the transaction are more appropriate. Truth is, you
> can make a bad deal anywhere!
>
> I don't use Ebay a lot, but I have made a few acquisitions through it.
> Fortunately, they all turned out O.K.  I guess I was just lucky.  Like Fred,
> I'm somewhat cautious about some things I see there, but that's mainly
> because it is so wide open.  Half the time you really don't know who you are
> really dealing with.  Usually, though, you do have the option to contact the
> seller first, so it doesn't have to be totally blind faith.
>
> In any event, if you have any significant concerns, you should probably
> follow Fred's suggestion and get some sort of assurance that you have
> recourse.  You should probably do that with any 2nd hand acquisition,
> regardless of where you get it.  I think Ebay has some sort of "problem
> resolution" process, but I don't know how effective it is since I've never
> had to use it.  If it has any value at all, it may be better to buy there
> than on some other venues.  However, I think the first rule of any such
> transaction should be to have at least some idea as to who you are dealing
> with.  If it's some "phantom", hiding behind some obtuse ID, you don't have
> much upon which to place your faith.  I also have another rule--"When in
> doubt, pass!"  If you can't get the assurances that make you reasonably
> comfortable, I'd let the deal go.  Except in rare instances, there is almost
> surely going to be another equally reasonable deal, if not better, coming
> down the pike.  Personally, I have t
 o keep reminding myself of this last rule.  It's hard not to get somewhat
excited (and possibly foolish) when you see a good deal come along.