>From my experience, hams misunderstand antennas more than anything else they
>have as a part of their station. What I've been able to discover for the
>popularity of the G5RV is that you have an "all band antenna" in just 102'.
>The other issues have to do with the concept of resonance in an antenna system
>and the need for it.

I guess I'm just not smart enough to worry about all of the issues. My approach
has been to just hang up 132' or 66' of wire fed in the center with open wire
to a 4:1 balun near the house. My transition into the house is either something
like LMR-240 or LMR-400 to my tuner. I can use this configuration either 80-10
or 40-10. Resonance? I really don't worry about it too much as my tuner can
address the issue for me thereby making my transmitter happy. I don't worry
about losses either. With low loss feeds, there is little loss, even at 10
meters, with SWRs as high as 10:1. Simplicity is key here.

The antenna that I now have up is roughly equivalent to a 40 meter Carolina
Windom, modified. My thinking on this gets a little convoluted, but it works.
For a new installation with the room, I would suggest the center fed dipole
with low loss feeds into a good tuner. And, oh yes, get it up as high as
possible.

73,
Barry
K3NDM