A 66ft off-centre-fed dipole works better than the 105ft G5RV worked on multiple bands.

Remember, however, that when Louis Varney designed his antenna (aerial in those days, probably) we all had valve (tube) transmitters which could cope with the wide variation in impedance. My only matching unit was for top band. I didn't use a matching unit for the other bands until I had a transistor rig.

David
G3UNA

There is a reason that the G5RV is a good beginner's first antenna, IMO. It is relatively easy to install.

Of course the same size antenna performs better as a doublet fed with balanced line, but I had a lot of trouble with balanced line when I was starting out. I didn't know enough to get usable matches. Feedline length, routing and balun issues, while simple for me to solve now, were just too much for me to solve in the beginning.

The G5RV got me on 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 40, 60 and 80 all at once. Admittedly not very well on all, but I made contacts on all those bands.

Another country heard from,

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

I've always wondered why builders of the antenna simply don't make an open-wire fed Zepp and stop there.