From: Ken G Kopp [mailto:kengk...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:06 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] OT: G5RV's and variants

It's already been pointed out that the original article by G5RV indicated that
the antenna was for 20M only.
I have the original article in my files.

I've always wondered why builders of the antenna simply don't make an open-wire
fed Zepp and stop there.
Why add a "magic" length of coax ... without any kind of impedance matching ...
to what would otherwise be a Zepp?  Yes, the length of the coax portion of the
feeder acts as an impedance transformer ... on 20M.
On other bands, all bets are off. (:-)

The antenna requires an antenna tuner to operate on bands other than 20M.  Many
tuners contain a balun so one has the option of either coax or balanced line
feeders.  Why not avoid the coax-to-balanced line splice with it's almost
certain mismatch losses and connect the balanced line portion of the G5RV's
feeder directly to the tuner?  If the tuner as no internal balun, one can be
made or purchased.

I once knew a local who actually coiled the coax portion of his G5RV's feed
"system" behind his desk and then connected it to his tuner.  The end of the
balanced portion was within inches of his tuner's balanced line connections.

The G5RV certainly qualifies as a "cult" antenna.

73!

Ken Kopp - K0PP