Dynamic DNS services are a different way of achieving a similar goal.

What they don't do is free someone from configuring a firewall at the radio-end.

The method I outlined works with just about every translating firewall. You don't have to mess with pass-thrus or proxies or know port numbers or fiddle with a "DMZ" (which is never a true DMZ).

You don't even care about the private IP of the "radio end" or how many times the address gets translated.