FWIW, I have just about completed a transition from slow DSL to moderately
fast cable Internet (30Mb down, 2Mb up on a good day), motivated by the
desire for smoother audio in my K3 Remote setup. In the process, I've
learned more than I ever wanted to know about routers and, perhaps most
important, their control facilities. It may be helpful to you, Brian, and
others. Note that I am not an expert on modern, computer networking. If you
are, you need read no further.

Every router I've used provides a Web browser interface. It's a "Goldilocks
story:" Some are monstrous, truly awful. Some are clean and neat but
limited in functionality. Some are "just right." The cost differences are
immaterial compared to our investments in stations, antennas and remote
control gadgetry. If you find yourself fighting your router, consider a
different one. I don't believe the Internet service providers nail you to
their specific favorite. Mine haven't.

At N6XI Truckee, the monstrous one was a 2wire DSL modem/router. It had all
the capabilities I needed but was a PITA to manage, a truly brain-dead user
interface. The limited one was a Hitron cable modem/router. It was easy to
use but wouldn't let me make some fundamental, boring, convenience changes
and it wouldn't pass the pings from my remote power switch.

So, as of today, I am using a "dumb," DOCSIS-standard cable modem from
Arris sold by my cable company and a nice, modestly priced router from
Linksys, now a Cisco company. The modem is invisible. The router has all
the functions I think I need, nicely arranged in intuitive pages and menus.
As a retired software guy, I would certainly have done some things
differently, but I have no significant complaints. I have spent only an
hour or two inside its pages and I think I'm done. It is a Linksys EA4500
(aka N900), in the middle of a line of routers distinguished mainly by
their throughput characteristics, at least if I understand it. One of its
nicest features is the ability to "Reserve" a DHCP-allocated LAN IP
address. This nails down the addresses of the many remote radio related
pieces. It is different from assigning "static" IP addresses and, I think,
simpler. It also handles port forwarding setup very cleanly and provides a
clean, editable list of on-LAN devices. I highly recommend it even though
I've never worked for Linksys or Cisco.

GL & 73,

/Rick

Rick Tavan N6XI