On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:35:46 -0700, Gary McDuffie <mcduf...@actcom.net>
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:53:01 +0000 (UTC), amsct...@comcast.net wrote:

> Commercial vehicles, in fact almost all modern over-the-road vehicles, emit
> all kinds of RF noise. OEM's primary noise concerns relate to broadcast
> bands, and they're not really concerned about anything else. Believe me, as I
> spend a couple a days a month in Detroit OEM's EMC chambers.

Every time I pass a semi on the highway, I can hear junk coming from the
engine computer, or something, on VHF.  It does have a carrier and isn't
just injectors.  That's an additional noise.  It doesn't matter what
repeater freq I'm monitoring, squelch is open from just about the cab
door until I'm clear of his bumper.  Pretty trashy.  I don't know how
some of these truckers run VHF gears in them.

Gary
http://ag0n.net
3055: http://ag0n.net/irlp/3055
NodeOp Help Page: http://ag0n.net/irlp