Bob,

Something I made quite a while ago, and you may consider making, is a simple,
small "utility box" to sit next to your radio (K3 or KX3). Mine is simply a
plastic Radio Shack project box. On the back I have 1/4" jacks to plug in
several different paddles and straight keys. There are two jacks there for
output: one that runs to the Paddle jack in the back of my K3, and another (I
call it Key Out) that runs to the Key jack on the back of the K3. A third jack
on the back of the little box runs to the PTT jack on the K3.

On the top of the box I've mounted several switches. One is a toggle switch
that closes the contacts on the PTT jack in the back. Another is a "momentary"
pushbutton switch that does the same thing. And a third "momentary" button is
wired in parallel to the Key Out jack on the back of the box.

This combination of jacks and switches allows me to plug in several different
paddles and straight keys, and permits the engaging either PTT (like when I'm
on SSB with my Yamaha CM-500 headset) or simulating a "key down" with a
straight key. All those functions can be accomplished via front panel switches
on the K3, but w/o having to reach over/up to the radio to do so.

Jim / W6JHB